Print this page Reduce font size Increase font size

Students transferring schools between states during Year 11 and Year 12

What should students who are transferring to schools in other states during Years 11 and 12 do?

Before transferring to schools that are interstate, students should obtain copies of their reports, transcripts or other evidence of their attainments, as well as details of the courses studied, from their current school.

When enrolling at new school, parents and students may initiate the Interstate Student Data Transfer Note (ISDTN) process. For further information, see Ministerial Council for Education, Early Childhood Development and Youth Affairs website.

Students who are transferring schools during Year 11 will have their attainments recognised by receiving schools in all similar subjects based on the assessment details provided by their previous schools, according to the policies and guidelines of the studies authority in the receiving state (eg Board of Studies NSW, Queensland Studies Authority). Where there are no similar subjects, status will be granted or an amended assessment program provided by the new school.

At the end of Year 11, students transferring from one state to another will receive credit for studies completed. If study requirements for Year 11 were met in their home state, this will be recognised in the receiving state.

Students transferring during Year 12 will receive credit for work completed in their current school, and will need to satisfy the assessment requirements of the receiving state in order to receive the senior secondary certificate of that state.

Most states have certificate completion requirements. Arrangements and agreements for recognition are negotiated on a case-by-case basis between the relevant state studies authorities, to enable students to meet the requirements of the states they are transferring to. Requests for schools to contact studies authorities in other states should be made as soon as possible to facilitate this negotiation. Details for each state/territory are available at Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Certification Authorities (ACACA) website.

Where students have completed courses/studies in one state, on transferring to a new state they will need to ask the relevant state universities admissions centre, or the state studies authority, how they will meet university entrance requirements using their combined results.

Print this page Reduce font size Increase font size